Involving in Tribal Development
The tribal communities are generally not integrated with other communities and still have strong traditions and cultural behaviors.
The tribals in target area make a living mainly from the minor forest produce. This is often seasonal and channeled through the Forest Department.
Palm 2 forms village development committees to identify possibilities for a better income through government schemes.
- To enter tribal villages through early childhood development and engage the parents and promote pre school and primary education.
- To form and strengthen 15 Village Development Committees and coordinate monthly meetings for improvement of infrastructure , educational and cultural habits and practice sramadana.
- To open Bank accounts and promote an internal saving system in the VDC.
- To guide the 15 VDC’s towards democratic self operation through leadership and skill development programs and facilitate improved knowledge of tribal rights through expertize.
- To motivate the villagers to utilize all the available government Schemes.
Some challenges encountered are:
- – illiteracy
- – unawareness of government schemes
- – Ignorance of basic rights
- – malnourishment
- – social, economic and cultural isolation